Thursday, March 19, 2009

Questions sent to mayoral candidates 9:15AM 3/19

I have started a blog to write about what I feel is happening and to comment on what I see happening in Columbia. http://worldasiknowitnow.blogspot.com/ I have wanted to do this for quite some time but have not because I felt I did not have a clear enough picture of what issues our city is facing. I suppose I also refrained from starting this blog for fear of being branded something I am not. That time is passed and I have begun.

I have been going to city council meetings over the past year and have kept myself fairly open minded. I do not have a side. I hold everyone to the same standards. I would like all three of you to reply back via email with complete answers to all of my questions. I do not see any of the questions as unfair to any candidate. I will post your answers to my page once I get them back from you for others to see.

I want to be clear that I have not made a choice on who I am voting for in the mayoral race and your responses to these questions will bear greatly on that choice. Your replies will also dictate how I share my opinions with others when discussing the mayoral race. If you chose to not reply, that is your choice and I will respect it. I do not need to sit down one on one with you; I would prefer to have your ideas spelled out in writing for me to refer to later regardless of who wins the election. I am sure you all have great ideas and maybe even if not elected your ideas could be implemented to improve our city. Not any one man has all of the right answers.

Questions:
1. I presume all of you have looked at the city’s budget and have an idea of what you would like to see changed in that budget. Ideas and projects I have read about included new streets projects, resolving the issues around our legal expenditures, having city hall open on Saturdays, reducing the budget by $500-750K. All of these issues should be explained more than the general blanket statements I have so far heard. Please explain in detail what expenditures you wish to cut from the city budget in an effort to save the city money and what new expenditures you plan to add if any in your term as the city’s mayor.

2. As we all know expenditures of this city must be augmented by new revenue streams. From what I heard at the forum everyone supports new business in Columbia. What new business types do you approve of and where should they be located?

3. What other revenue streams should the city explore other than an increase in sales tax from new businesses?

4. What changes would you like to see in our police department? Are there changes you would like to see made? I have heard that some may want to change police chiefs, if there is any truth to this then please explain and who would replace the current chief?

5. Do you have agreements with any current aldermen or candidates for alderman regarding certain ways to vote on items if you get elected, if so who? Have you met with current aldermen or candidates for alderman to discuss the issues facing our city, if so who?

6. Will you support all obligations from signed contracts and agreements that you may inherit from the current administration or past administrations?

7. Are you happy with the services provided by our current city attorney? What are the advantages of keeping Mr. Adams if you retain him? If you would like to replace him who would be your choice and why are they a good choice?
8. Obviously Dennis Patton is retired; Mayor Hutchinson and candidate McCarty have obligations to their regular jobs. How many hours will you be able to devote to the city on a weekly basis if you become mayor?

9. If elected mayor will you support advertising for and hiring a city administrator within a few months of your election? If yes please explain the advantages of having a city administrator and if no then please explain why our city does not need to have someone in this position.

4 comments:

Levi Ottwell said...

Whoever is answering Harold's email has replied back and said he will answer my questions when he gets back to a computer.

Levi Ottwell said...

I received an email reply from Dennis a little after 6pm tonight. To be fair to him I will not post his reply until I have the other two candidates replies. Dennis did not ask for this. I want replies to the questions and not have the other candidates react to the answers already given by Dennis.

I hope Harold can get his in tonight, I know Kevin is having a meet and greet at Maverick Technologies tonight so maybe his will get here late or early tomorrow.

Levi Ottwell said...

Well so far I only have a reply from Dennis.

Levi Ottwell said...

I emailed Harold and Kevin this morning at about 11:05 AM to see if I could get a reply back. I received a reply from Harold at 11:26AM asking me to call or give him my number and he would call me.

I called Harold a little after 1PM today and he asked me what my questions were. He said he hadn't read my email. I didn't have my list of questions in front of me so I couldn't ask him exactly what I had asked the others. I explained to him I would prefer an email reply. He said he would take a look at it and email me back.

Post a Comment