Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Question Four: Police Department

4. What changes would you like to see in our police department? Are there changes you would like to see made? I have heard that some may want to change police chiefs, if there is any truth to this then please explain and who would replace the current chief?

Dennis Patton's Reply
All major staff positions need to be reviewed, but I do not believe in change for the sake of change. I am not in favor of a musical chairs program whenever a new mayor is elected all office holders are changed. All performance should be reviewed and to the extent personnel are performing up to expectations they should continue on. If there are problems with performance or budget problems dictate cutting is necessary a thorough review of job descriptions, making certain no services are duplicated, should be conducted and recommendations made for continuing employment or changes.

Since I have not been elected I do not have privilege to performance reviews and employment concerns that may have been discussed in executive session, so it would be premature for me to comment on individual staff issues. I elected I will research any and all issues relating to performance.

There is much positive to be said for experience and continuity, but sometimes change is needed. Naturally, the Mayor is the Chief Executive Officer of the City and responsible for organizing a staff that works together. He is also ultimately responsible for evaluating the performance and capability of staff members.

I have 26 years experience in evaluating personnel and making recommendations for employment. I would meet with all department heads and personnel in major staff positions and discuss qualifications and performance expectations. Where changes are warranted staff members should be given evaluations stressing areas of improvement needed and time to address those recommendations.

As I have been campaigning around town many people have expressed concerns about the Police Department. Some have complained about the Police Administration and a few say they feel that some of our policemen are oppressive in doing what they consider is their job. I have not experienced any problem of this nature with the Police Department and had a good working relationship with them during my 22 years as Principal. If elected Mayor I would certainly look into any complaints and concerns. Perception is reality in the eyes of those who have bad feeling about the Police Department. The department needs to be pro-active in its approach to public relations. I do not believe in a policy of musical chairs with staff positions whenever a new Mayor is elected. I do believe in a thorough evaluation system and time for making improvements if deficiencies are noted. Those that are doing a good job should be retained and supported and those who cannot improvement may need to be replaced. Until one becomes an elected official they are not privilege to executive session personnel information so it would be premature to run for office with an agenda to get rid of someone based on innuendoes and rumors. The Mayor should influence the policy of the Police Department and I believe, and would stress, that their primary duty is to ‘Serve’ the citizens of Columbia.

As a former educator I would like to see a school resource police officer put in the High School to promote safety and foster better relationships between our youth and the police.

I would also like to see police officers assigned as Community Resource Officers whose duty would be to communicate with the Service Organizations, Senior Citizens, and other Community Groups. I believe this would improve the public relations, promote better understanding, and allow for exchange of information between the police department and our citizens. I believe frank exchanges of information between law enforcement personnel and citizens and students can only benefit our community.



Kevin Hutchinson's Reply
Chief and I have made many changes over the past 4 years. We added personal (Public Relations) communication by officers to say "hi... how can we help you" to businesses and residents.

• Received numerous grants saving the citizens tax dollars.

• For 2008-2009 traffic violations are down.

• Chief Joe Edwards is fair and equitable, I have no plans to replace him.



Harold McCarty's Reply
I would like to change the current attitude of the police department back to where our officers would protect and serve rather than harass and intimidate.I also feel the police should be more visible inside Columbia patrolling the streets rather than on the interstate unless called for backup. As for the police chief, if I become mayor, that is something that I will discuss one on one with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment