Saturday, March 28, 2009

Community Question Number Three

This question is mainly for Dennis and Harold. I will post an answer here for Kevin if he chooses to reply.

2. As Mayor Hutchinson has represented Columbia on the Southwestern Illinois Council of Mayors and East West Gateway Council, how do you plan to represent Columbia to the Metro and Southern Illinois area?

Dennis Patton's Reply
I would like to say that if I win I will ask for Kevin's support to help me get involved with the East-West gateway Council and the SWI Council of Mayors. I feel our mayor, whom ever it its, should continue to represent Columbia on these councils.


Kevin Hutchinson's Reply
It took many years of networking and relationship building to position Columbia representation on these boards. Being an active member is a small part. It took years to get to know the members and for them to get to know me. When I was elected Mayor, I had already spent many years networking and meeting the officials in the State and Region. You do not just slide into these positions, you must be nominated and voted in by your peers. This takes far longer than 4 years to obtain these positions. I can show hundreds of thousands of dollars Columbia received as a direct result of these relationships and elected positions. The benefits to Columbia are well worth the effort.


Harold McCarty's Reply
I would like to get involved in those organizations, but my immediate concern is leadership for Columbia and taking responsibility for getting things back on track. My immediate plan it to meet with the local governments of the surrounding communities as soon as possible to open up lines of communication so that we can work together and move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment